Business Education

Home-based Business – General Information

Are you a home-based business within the Town of Gawler Council area?

Not sure if you meet the requirements for a home-based business or just not sure if you need to apply for Council approval for your business?


The information provided below has been provided by the Town of Gawler.

A Home Business does not require Development Approval when its classified as a ‘home activity’, which means a use of a site by a person resident on the site—

a)    that does not detrimentally affect the amenity of the locality or any part of the locality; and

b)    that does not require or involve any of the following:

                      i.        assistance by more than 1 person who is not a resident in the dwelling;

                     ii.        use (whether temporarily or permanently) of a floor area exceeding 30 square metres;

                    iii.        the imposition on the services provided by a public utility organisation of any demand or load greater than that which is ordinarily imposed by other users of the services in the locality;

                   iv.        the display of goods in a window or about the dwelling or its curtilage;

                     v.        the use of a vehicle exceeding 3 tonne tare in weight.


Where a home based business does not fall within the ambit above, a change in land use application is required.

Similarly, advertisement signs will require Development Approval, other than where they fall within the following:

The commencement of an advertising display containing an advertisement—

d)    that is displayed for the purposes of identification, direction, warning or other information in relation to a detached, semi-detached, row or multiple dwelling or residential flat building, subject to the following conditions:

                      i.        that the advertisement area is not more than 0.2 square metres; and

                     ii.        that the advertising display—

A.                does not move; and

B.                does not flash; and

C.               does not reflect light so as to be an undue distraction to motorists; and

D.               is not internally illuminated; and

                    iii.        that not more than 2 such advertisements are displayed in relation to the same building;

For further clarification on your specific home based business, please call Caren for a confidential discussion

0488 440 588


© 2017 Gawler Business Development Group Inc | Website by Zynke Design